Acceptable Use Policy
STUDENT NETWORK AND ACCEPTABLE USE GUIDELINES
The SturgisPublicCharterSchool provides access to the Internet. Sturgis strongly believes in the educational value of electronic services and recognizes the potential to support the curriculum and student learning by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication. Sturgis will make every reasonable effort to protect students and teachers from any misuses or abuses as a result of their experience with the information network, but there is no system in place to totally protect students. Students and parents are asked to discuss the following use guidelines and sign where indicated. Student and parent signatures will indicate acknowledgement and understanding of these services. As users of this network, students will be expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette noted below.
Student Internet Access
The Web is a global database system providing access to information from around the world. Sturgis students have access to Internet information resources and the local network through their classroom, library, school computer labs, and personal Internet connections. There is an Internet protection and network security system in place, but this system is not intended to replace appropriate student use.
The following uses of the Sturgis network are considered unacceptable:
- Personal Safety and Personal Privacy including but not limited to:
- Providing personal contact information about yourself including but not limited to: your home address, telephone number, school address, photos, personal information of other people;
- Agreeing to meet with someone you have met online.
- Email, Chat, Instant Messaging, Web Publishing Guidelines including but not limited to:
- Using the Sturgis networks to use personal Web-based mail (Hotmail, Gmail, YahooMail, etc.) on any school computer, or any type of instant messaging including, but not limited to, AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger, and ICQ;
- Using online Web-based chat rooms or social networks is not permitted online unless it is part of coursework or collaborative sharing project under the supervision of a teacher;
- Illegal Activities and Vandalism including but not limited to:
- Attempts to gain unauthorized access to the network or to any other computer system through the system or go beyond the student’s authorized access. This includes intending to log in through another person's account or to access another person's files;
- Deliberate attempts to disrupt the computer system or destroy data or equipment by spreading computer viruses or by any other means;
- Use the Sturgis network to engage in any other inappropriate act such as threatening the safety of another person, etc.
- Respecting Resource Limits including but not limited to:
- Use of the Sturgis network systems for non-educational and/or non-classroom activities. This excludes guided searching as assigned by a teacher or staff member, and extends to using the Internet for personal recreation;
- Use of video and audio for recreation purposes will not be allowed. This includes radio station feeds, movie trailers, etc. except when required to meet school expectations;
- Intentionally wasting resources, such as paper, ink cartridges, ribbons, storage space, diskettes, etc.
- Copyright and Plagiarism including but not limited to:
- Disrespecting the rights of copyright owners. Copyright infringement, including logos and trademarks, occurs when you inappropriately reproduce a work that is protected by a copyright. If a work contains language that specifies appropriate use, students should follow the requirements. When unsure of copyright requirements,
NOTE: Exception: when required to meet school expectations.
NOTE: Promptly inform your teacher or other school employee any message you receive or Web site you encounter that is inappropriate or makes you feel uncomfortable.
NOTE: Exception: when required to meet school expectations.
NOTE: Web page creators or authors are responsible for ensuring that the information contained on their pages is of the highest editorial standards (spelling, punctuation, grammar, style, etc.), and is appropriate, factually accurate, and current. If errors are observed, the Sturgis Technology Coordinator or Webmaster should be contacted to make the necessary corrections. Sturgis will have limited liability.
NOTE: Violations will be referred to a school administrator for disciplinary or legal action. Building administrators will determine the consequence for inappropriate use that includes, but is not limited to loss of computer/Internet use. Some consequences may be based on policies established in the Sturgis Student Handbook. Other violations may be covered by Federal and State Law.
- Ask a teacher;
- Request permission from the copyright owner;
- Use of the Sturgis network to access material that is profane or obscene, that advocates illegal or dangerous acts, or that advocates violence or discrimination towards other people.
- Use computers/Internet for the transmission of material in violation of U.S. or Massachusetts regulation. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or materials protected by trade secret.
NOTE: Students should inform a teacher if you mistakenly access inappropriate information. This will protect students against a claim that you have intentionally violated the Internet and Network Use Guidelines.
Please see http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXII/Chapter71/Section37O for details.
- Students should expect only limited privacy in the contents of student personal files or record of Web research activities on the Sturgis network. Routine maintenance and monitoring of the network traffic may lead to discovery that you have violated this Policy, the Sturgis disciplinary code, or the law. Sturgis will cooperate fully with local, state, or federal officials in any investigation related to any illegal activities conducted through the Sturgis network.
NOTE: In the event there is a claim that a student has violated this Policy or the Sturgis disciplinary code in the student’s use of the Sturgis network, the student and his/her parents will be provided with notice and opportunity to be heard in the manner set forth in the Sturgis disciplinary code.
NOTE: Students may lose their privilege of using the Sturgis network if students violate the standards and expectations stated in this document.
Limitation of Legal Liability
- Sturgis makes no guarantee that the functions or the services provided by or through the Sturgis system will be error-free or without defect.
- Sturgis will not be responsible for any damage you may suffer, including but not limited to, loss of data or interruptions of service. Sturgis is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through or stored on the system.
- Sturgis will not be responsible for financial obligations arising through the unauthorized use of the system. Parents can be held financially responsible for any harm to the system as a result of intentional misuse.